Does dressing for success lead to success
Does dressing for success lead to success? The short answer is yes: there is science behind this claim that indicates that yes dressing for success leads to success. In a 2015 study done by professors from Columbia and California State University showed that the clothing worn influences cognition broadly, impacting the processing style that changes how objects, people and events are construed. Meaning the clothes you wear set an everlasting impression of how people see and treat you. Therefore be able to dress your best can lead toward a successful career.
1. First impressions count
- Make an everlasting first impression is very important in the work force, so be sure your style is always on point. The old saying goes “don’t judge a book by its cover” but in reality that’s what we do on a regular basis, that’s why dressing successful is an important part of reaching success. Every time you step out of the house you need to project an image that tells others how to treat you. When people first lay eyes on you they automatically make an assumption of what you do for a living, your personality, what your work ethic is like etc. so it is very important that your clothing/appearance make a great impression.
- Your image is an indicator of who you are as a person or how you want people to view you as a person. A big part in advancing in life is looking the part. A keen sense of style when it comes to your image can lead to greater opportunities and higher levels of success.
- Always keep your look up to date and fresh. Remember, you are a representation of your company. Your personal appearance has a great effect on how you work. Constantly keeping your image up not only leads to better work ethic but also gives you self-confidence.
2. Self-respect & confidence
- Taking the time and effort into putting together a sharp outfit will automatically give you that boost of self-confidence you’ve been looking for. Your perception of yourself has a significant impact on how others perceive you. With a sharp outfit and you radiating self- respect people will think of you more positively and will respect you more. When you feel good on the outside, we are more likely to feel good on the inside, which leads us to having a great attitudes and self-confidence.
3. It draws the right kind of attention
- When you are dressing for success you are aiming you attract the right attention. A sharply dressed young man stands out from the crowd. A well dressed man with a good style will always look put together
4. Getting started
- Start by cleaning out your closet, go through everything in your closet and start throwing out/donate all of your old clothes, ones that are torn, old and clothes that don’t fit. Only keep certain clothing that will bring your wardrobe up a notch.
- Keep your closet organized and clean this will help you put together outfits faster and easier. All hangers should be one color, arrange by types of clothing ex: blazers in one area, dress shirts in another etc.
- Playing dress up will help you get use to dressing for success and other people will start to take notice, new jobs will also come your way
Remember to always dress your best. You never know when your next opportunity for success will show up.